Your friendly, one stop tool for creating your own HeroQuest quests!
💡 On a phone? Try using it in landscape... 💡
*Last updated 23 October 2022*
- ℹ️ Additional Expansions & Chaos SorcererI realised I could put some more information on the builder about the other expansions that were released for the OG HeroQuest sets. So you'll find them on the left menu now - just click to find out more. And a thank you to Eudoxio for sending over a suitable HQ21 style Chaos Sorcerer icon. I don't believe he was usually depicted on the quest maps before - but now you have it in HQ21, EU and US styles - enjoy!
- 🥶 Frozen Horror Expansion!You'll now find all of the assets for the expansion are available to use in your quests (in 2021, US AND EU format). Please note - future expansions will be added as/when the artwork is available for the 2021 released version of HQ.
- ✂️ Clone / Copy QuestIf you long-press on a quest on the quest list you will be given to option to clone/copy that quest. Useful for templates, iterating on the same base quest and other things too!
- 🔀 Quest List OrderingYep - you can now reorder the quests in your quest list so they're in a sequence you prefer - this is also saved to the .hqb file if you back-up the list too!
- 👀 Quest List SearchFinding your quest list getting a little loooong? You can now search your quests by title to locate that all important quest!
- ⌨️ Keyboard ShortcutsFor desktop/keyboard users only, hover over the element in the left panel to see its shortcut, here are some for quick reference:
- number keys 1-8 = monsters
- d = door (alt+d = secret door) - keep pressing to rotate
- - to add single wall, = to add double wall
- cursor keys will move the current tile highlight
- delete/backspace key to clear tile
- spacebar to toggle to paint rock (then shift+cursor keys to fill)
- shift+letter/number key for annotation
- h+1 (1-9) to place Homebrew icons/bring up field to upload graphic
Hopefully it will improve your quest creation workflow, let me know what you think!
- 📺 New Intro VideoNot hugely exciting - but maybe it is, as there may well be some features highlighted in the video that you didn't know were there...!
- 🇫🇷 French UI TranslationProvided by Adrascorix - Merci!
- ☁️ Cloud Saving & Sharing Beta Update!Thanks to those of you who have agreed to test this feature - I'm not actively looking for new testers now. I'll keep you posted on any updates to this feature.
- 🌙 Dark ModeFind a new switch in the left hand panel next to the delete button to have a look at the darker side of hQuestBuilder.
- Expansion GraphicsYep, they are here! Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord graphics are all in across EU, US and HQ21 styles. You'll find them in nicely compact collapsable areas above Homebrew on the left hand menu. Thanks once again to Banjo for the new HQ SVG assets. There are more enhancements planned around these additions, but for now, enjoy this MUCH requested feature... and yes, I'm aware of The Frozen Horror on the horizon too 😉
- Print preview optionA small but significant addition that lets you see what the print view of your quest will look like - you can then use your browser screen capture software of choice to save your quest as an image!
- Streamlined Help & InfoYep - this very modal has been updated to make it easier to browse, and a new intro video added.
- Additional letter and number annotationsAdded for all themes - happy annotating!
- Indicator for using too many of an item on the quest mapIf you see an item fade out in the left hand menu it means you've reached the total number of uses of this item (based on base, old EU HeroQuest numbers as it seems to have fewer of some things - namely the trap/wall/secret door tiles). This is very much a soft limit though, you can still use/place items that have been faded out, but hopefully a helpful reference when building a quest.
Text labels on mapAfter some experiments this sadly won't be added to hQuestBuilder - please use annotations as a replacement, sorry!
- Homebrew / Bespoke GraphicsYep - they're here! Check this quick video to see how they work for single tiles
- 🇮🇹 Italian UI TranslationProvided by lestodante - Grazie!
- 🇪🇸 Spanish UI TranslationProvided by Eudoxio - Gracias!
- Refinements to print viewI know it's fairly simple, but hopefully a vast improvement on the initial version!
- 🇩🇪 German UI TranslationProvided by unndee19 - Danke!
- Hero tiles
Drag and drop for iconsNot added to hQuestBuilder to keep things touch friendly
- Retro EU/US Abomination iconThanks to /u/StephenGSX for the fun new creature icon!
- Allow switching between HQ21 and old US/EU graphics
- Shaded traps
- Quest author field
- Update to default icons/styling to better match HeroQuest 2021 (HQ21)
- Create/manage more than one Quest
- Allowing solid rock to be added to non-active areas of the map
- Export/import of backed-up quests data
Here are the common items that have been suggested/are on my radar to look at:
- Folder creation for quests in quest list
- Rotation for Homebrew icons
- Additional expansion graphics
- Review default annotations (missing double XX, numbers up to 12)
- More contextual help videos and guidance
- Reminder to reload the webpage periodically to see the latest changes
- Text formatting in the quest narrative/notes
- Continuing (yet usually futile) tiding up of code
Thank you to the folks from the /r/Heroquest subreddit who have provided such great feedback. I'm always open to feedback/suggestions, so feel free to contact me directly, or use the feedback tool in the lower right of this webpage if you'd prefer.
Special thanks goes to:
- Luis Bermudez for the great old EU/US style dwarf icon
- /u/Banjo-Oz for supplying his HQ21 SVG set - please check out his website too!
- /u/StephenGSX for missing graphic/tile support and for the creation of the old-style Abomination creature icon (have you managed to find him yet...? Try clicking on the Fimir icon again when you've placed it in the old EU/US style view)
Although I never got it working on my machine (hence the browser-based creation you see before you), HeroScribe has been a great resource for sourcing the older official graphics - and looks to be a great tool!
UI Translation(s) very kindly provided in:
- 🇫🇷 Français (French) by Adrascorix
- 🇮🇹 Italiano (Italian) by lestodante
- 🇪🇸 Español (Spanish) by Eudoxio
- 🇩🇪 Deutsch (German) by unndee19
If you are happy to translate the UI into your native language please get in touch!
hQuestBuilder has been created to allow the creation of original (homebrew) quests. It is not to be used to recreate and share copyrighted quests. Thanks - and happy quest building!
HeroQuest and the graphics used by hQuestBuilder are © Milton Bradley Company/Hasbro, Inc. and are not intended as a challenge to the rights of these respective companies in regard to HeroQuest. Do get in touch if any assets have been used that have not been credited appropriately.
Close Help & Info